The article describes the narrative discourse from the standpoint of the structural theory of narrative text and illocutionary influence of the author on the reader.
The relevance of the description of Chekhov’s narrative discourse on the example of three stories is in connection with the illocutionary influence of the author on the reader with the construction of the text according to the laws of perception by the reader.
The reason for the formulation of the problem was such a pattern of Chekhov’s discourse as the plot-forming logic of the wagon episode. This approach allowed us to substantiate the idea of its discursive significance and highlight the role of the wagon episode as a narrative discourse and make sure of its iconic role in narrative communication.
The chosen strategy for the study of narrative discourse required the establishment of a correlation of syntagmatic and paradigmatic correlations of the concept of “wagon episode”, its explicit and implicit sign, or inspirational content.
The purpose of this article is to develop a model of Chekhov’s narrative discourse from the standpoint of the speaker’s illocutionary influence on the listener.
The theoretical significance of the article is determined by the analysis of narrative communication from the perspective of illocution, which is due to the structure of the statement ‒ in the aspect of the narrative competence of the author and the discursive ‒ reader.
The methodological basis of the work is characterized by the use of non-rhetorical (discourse) and structural approaches.
The paper reveals the factors of narrative discourse integrity: localization of space, plot-forming logic of the wagon episode, the ratio of paradigmatic and syntagmatic correlations forming the system of secondary expressiveness.
The synthesis of narrative and discursive competences of the author and the reader is shown in the focus of the parody text penetrated by the menippean beginning.
Keywords: Chekhov, wagon episode, narrative discourse, illocutive impact, paradigmatic and syntagmatic correlations, secondary expressiveness, “Anna on the neck”, “Ariadne”, “About love»
- Bart R. Vvedenie v strukturnyj analiz teksta [Introduction to the structural analysis of the text] // Zarubezhnaya estetika i teoriya literatury XIX-XX vv. Traktaty, stat’i, esse. [Foreign aesthetics and theory of literature XIX-XX centuries. Treatises, articles, essays]. Moscow, Izd-vo Moskovskogo universiteta, 1987, 196-238.
- Hermann Kocyba. Die Disziplinierung Foucaults. Diskursanalyse als Wissenssoziologie, in: D. Tдnzler, H. Knoblauch, H.-G. Soeffner (Hg.). Neue Perspektiven der Wissenssoziologie. Konstanz: UVK Verlagsgesselschaft, 2006, pp. 135-155.
- Berdnikov G.P. Chekhov [Chekhov], In Istoriya vsemirnoj literatury [History of world literature]. Moscow, Nauka, ‒ 8, 29-42.
- Stepanov A.D. Problemy kommunikacii u Chekhova [Communication problems at Chekhov]. Moscow, Yаzyki slavyanskoj kul’tury, 2005, 400.
- Nepomniashchikh N.A. Zheleznaya doroga kak kompleks motivov v russkoj lirike i ehpike (obzor) [Railway as a complex of motifs in Russian lyrics and epics (review)]. In Syuzhetno-motivnye kompleksy russkoj literatury [The subject-motivational complexes of Russian literature)]. Novosibirsk, 2012, 92-105.
- Zholkovskij A.K., Shcheglov, Yu.K., Raboty po poehtike vyrazitel’nosti: Invarianty – Tema – Priemy – Tekst [Works on expressive poetics: Invariants – topic – tricks – text]. Moscow: Progress, 1996, 345.
- Khainadi Z. Tekst-podtekst-intertekst. «Tri sestry» A. P. Chekhova. [The text – subtext-intertekst. «Three sisters» by A.P. Chekhov]. Russkaya literatura, 2015, no 1, 132-146. (In Russ).
- Khainadi Z. Simvolicheskoe znamenovanie pervoobraza cherez obraz (topos sada i parka u A. P. Chekhova) [Symbolical mark of a prototype in an image (topos of a garden and the park at A.P. Chekhov)]. Russkaya literatura, (2016), no. 2, 100-114. (In Russ).
- Silant’ev I.V. Syuzhet i smysl [The plot and meaning]. Moscow, Izdatel’skij Dom YASK: Yazyki slavyanskoj kul’tury, 2018, 144.
- Kroo K. Intertekstual’naya poetika romana I.S. Turgeneva «Rudin» [Intertextual poetics of I. S. Turgenev’s novel «Rudin»]. Sankt-Peterburg, Izd-vo DNK, 2008, 145-148.
- Chekhov A.P. Anna na shee [Anna on the neck], In Chekhov A.P. Polnoe sobranie sochinenij i pisem v 30 t. [Complete Works and Letters in 30 volumes]. Moscow, Nauka, 1977, 107-132.
- Chekhov A.P. Ionych [Ionitch], In Chekhov A.P. Polnoe sobranie sochinenij i pisem v 30 t. [Complete Works and Letters in 30 volumes]. Moscow, Nauka, 1977, 10, 24-41.
- Griboedov A.S. Gore ot uma [Woe from Wit]. Moscow, Nauka, 1987,
- Lermontov M.Yu. Geroj nashego vremeni [Hero of our time]. Moscow, Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1962,
- Chekhov P. Tri sestry [Three sisters], In Chekhov A.P. Polnoe sobranie sochinenij i pisem v 30 t. [Complete Works and Letters in 30 volumes]. Moscow, Nauka, 1978, 13-25.
- Chekhov A.P. Ariadna [Ariadne], In Chekhov A.P. Polnoe sobranie sochinenij i pisem v 30 t. [Complete Works and Letters in 30 volumes]. Moscow, Nauka, 1977, 9, 107-132.
- Chekhov A.P. O lyubvi [About love], In Chekhov A.P. Polnoe sobranie sochinenij i pisem v 30 t. [Complete Works and Letters in 30 volumes]. Moscow, Nauka, 1977, 10, 66-74.
Information about Authors:
Kuralay Urazayeva (Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan) – Doctor of Philology, Associate Professor, Professor, L.N. Gumilyov ENU, (2, Satpaev street, е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org), published articles (number of published articles: 100; directions “Methods of of Russian as a foreign language”, “Pedagogy”, “Philology”, “Literary Studies”).
Zhanargul Azkenova (Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan) – PhD student, master of Philology, L.N. Gumilyov ENU, (2, Satpaev street, е-mail: email@example.com), published articles (number of published articles: 35; directions “Philology”, “Literary Studies”).
For citation: Urazayeva Kuralay B., Azkenova Zhanargul, (2019). Wagon episode in stories of Anton Chekhov as narrative discourse. Cross-Cultural Studies: Education and Science . Vol. 4, Issue 2 (2019), pp. 108-116 (in USA)
Manuscript received: 05/ 20/ 2019
Accepted for publication: 06/17/ 2019
The authors have read and approved the final manuscript.
CC BY 4.0