Abstract: The article is devoted to an actual problem ‒ the development of the concept of
Kazakh rhetoric. The problem is considered on the description of the content and structure of the rhetoric of law and the identification of its role in the formation of legal rhetoric. The main directions of the article are due to the application of the ideas of non-rhetoric and
communicative rhetoric and relate to the pragmatic potential of the biy utterance, the connection of the rhetorical status of the utterance, the rhetorical modality, the picture of the world. A description of the speaker’s communicative and speech behavior, illocutionary and perlocutionary effects on the listener is also undertaken. These approaches allow us to
characterize the skill of Kazakh biys, the techniques of rhetorical argumentation and the
effectiveness of communication from the position of the status of the Word / Speech. This
approach became the basis for the description of the features of speech communication and the development of the scientific apparatus of Kazakh rhetoric. The examples confirm the modern scientific idea of the insufficiency of the theory of speech acts for the development of the concept of rhetoric. The reproduction of the biy’s thinking process, his decision-making, impact on the audience and perception by listeners showed a movement from the modality of knowledge to the audience's understanding and persuasion. The techniques of argumentation and manipulation of the speaker to the listener are shown by the example of creating an occasional picture of the world. The generalization of illocutionary and perlocutionary effects on the listener is shown from the standpoint of classification of iconic discourse and its connection with rhetorical modality. The processes of operating a speaker with a denotative meaning and controlling the listener's perception with the help of a connotative meaning are analyzed. The
process of reaching agreement between the speaker and the listener in the aspect of
argumentation techniques is investigated. The role of perlocation as a way to achieve such
agreement is highlighted. The significance of the considered problem is due to the description of Kazakh justice from the position of a rhetorical ideal, the activation of concepts of value for the people.
Keywords: Kazakh rhetoric, legal rhetoric, argumentation, discourse, illocution,
1. Kolmogorova A.V Argumentatsiya v rechevoy povsednevnosti [Argumentation in
everyday speech] ‒ M.: Flinta, Nauka, 2009. ‒ 152 p.
2. Gurochkina A.G. Argumentativnyy diskurs parlamentskikh debatov. [Elektronnyy resurs]. URL: http://filologija.vukhf.lt/7-12/8%20gurochkina%20new.doc. Date of application: 22.11.2022
3. Yakovleva Ye.A. Zakony ritoriki i ikh deystviye v khudozhestvennom diskurse //
[Argumentative discourse of parliamentary debates.] ‒ Antroposfera diskursa. ‒ Ufa: Gilem,
2007‒ 352 p.
4. Ritorika. Uchebnaya kniga po magistralyam po prostranstvennoy/spetsial’nosti
«Filologiya» v vuzakh Rossii i Kazakhstana [Rhetoric. Textbook for master’s degree in the specialty “Philology” in universities of Russia and Kazakhstan] [Elektronnyy resurs]. / I.YU. Kachesova [i dr.]; Barnaul: AltGU, 2018. http://elibrary.asu.ru/handle/asu/6562 Date of application: 22.11.2022.
5. Tyupa V. I. Diskursnyy analiz [Discourse analysis]// Tyupa I.V. Analiz khudozhestvennogo teksta. – M.: Akademiya, 2008. – Р .273-299.
6. Tyupa, V. I. Genre nature of narrative strategies // Philological class. ‒ 2018. ‒ No. 2
(52). ‒ Р. 9-24. DOI: 10.26710/fk18-02-03.
7. Shangirbayeva B.The customary law of Kazakhs and the biy’s institution. The role in
implementation of the right to fair trial in modern Kazakhstan). // VIA EVRASIA. ‒ 2016. ‒ № 5 (37) http://www.viaevrasia.com/documents/37.%20BEIBIT%20SHANGIRBAYEVA,%20VIA%20EVRASIA,%202016,%205.pdf Date of application: 22.09.2022.
8. Shangirbayeva B. “The art of the word” or the cultural background for the implementation of right to freedom of expression in contemporary Kazakhstan Proceedings of the 14th Bi-Annual Conference of the European Society for Central Asian Studies (ESCAS) Central Asia in the XXI Century. Historical Trajectories, Contemporary Challenges and Everyday Encounters ‒ 2015. // Zurich. ‒ 2015. ‒ Р.42-43.
9. Urazayeva, K.B. Kazakh medieval justice: the mechanism of cultural security and
preservation of national identity. // International Forum "Language, Culture and National Security. ‒ Guangzhou – Yekaterinburg, 2018. ‒ Р. 86-92.
10. Urazayeva, K.B. Imagery of Mentality and Statement Allegory as an Expression of the
Kazakh Identity. Ensuring Social and National Stability in the Practice of the Kazakh
Jurisdiction. // VIA EVRASIA, 2016. №5 (17).
http://www.viaevrasia.com/documents/17.%20KURALAY%20URAZAEVA,%20VIA%20EVRASIA,%202016,%205.pdf. Date of application: 22.09.2022.
11. Urazayeva K.B., Zharkybekova Sh.K, Abylkhassova K. The concept of Kazakh
rhetoric.Methodology and Analytical tools. // Proceedings of the International Black Sea Modern Scientific Research Congress.// Turkey, 2022, pp.1159 ‒ 1165.
12. Yerik G., Abylkhassova K. The Rhetoric of Kazakh Biys. The Modality of Belief, Opinion,
Understanding as the Denominator of a Single Perception of Speech // Proceedings of the
International Black Sea Modern Scientific Research Congress. // Turkey, 2022, pp.1186 ‒ 1195.
13. Urazayeva K.B., Yerik G., Abylkhassova K. Iconic discussions as a mechanism of
Kazakh justice// Proceedings of the Ahi Evran 2nd International Cjnerence on Scientific
Research. //Turkey, 2022. pp.313 ‒ 320.
14. Mel'nik YA.G. K voprosu o neoparadigmaticheskoy interpretatsii konflikta klassicheskoy ritoriki i neoritoriki: diskurs-analiz. [On the issue of non-paradigmatic interpretation of the conflict of classical rhetoric and neo-rhetoric: discourse analysis.] // Lingvoritoricheskaya paradigma: teoreticheskiye i prikladnyye aspekty. ‒ 2019. ‒ № 4. – P. 22-27.
15. Krachkovsky I.YU. «First edition: Quran. Translation and comments by I. Yu.
Krachkovsky». Editor V. I. Belyaev. Foreword by V. I. Belyaev and P. A. Gryaznevich. Moscow: Izdatel’stvo Vostochnoi literatury, 1963 ‒ 714 с.
For citation: Urazayeva Kuralay, Zharkynbekova Sholpan, Gulnur Yerik, (2023).
The Rhetoric of Customary Law and the Prerequisites
for the Formation of Kazakh Legal Rhetoric.
Cross-Cultural Studies: Education and Science, Vol. 8, Issue 1 (2023), pp. 96-109 (in USA)
Manuscript received 11/02/2023
Accepted for publication: 26/03/2023