This article analyses the formation and development of foreign language education in Russia. The concepts of foreign language education and foreign language learning are not identical. The result of foreign language education is the formation of a linguistic personality who knows the language, the history, traditions and culture of the people. The system of foreign language education was constantly transforming, reflecting the political and economic needs of the Russian state. The main periods of foreign language education development in the 19th to early 20th century are considered, including the civic-educational, general educational and culturological periods. The civic-educational period – the main goal of gymnasium education was to educate and foster patriotism and active civic and creative attitudes in students. The general education period – the main goal of gymnasium education was to promote the mental, spiritual and cultural development of their students, fostering in them a sense of patriotism, love for their homeland and a morality and strength of character. The culturological period – the main goal of gymnasium education was to contribute to the general education of students by developing mental abilities and practical language proficiency. Different types of upper secondary (gymnasium) education, as well as the educational and disciplinary scope of foreign language education in pre-revolutionary Russia are discussed.
Keywords: foreign language education, foreign language learning, cultural and moral formation of personality of gymnasium school graduates
- Vetchinova, M. N. Theory and practice of foreign language education in Russia in the second half of the 19th to the early 20th century: PhD Thesis, Pedagogical Sciences: 13.00.01 / Marina Nikolayevna Vetchinova. — Kursk, 2002, 194 pages.
- Kovaleva, Ye. A. The formation and development of foreign language education in Russian gymnasiums in the 19th to the early 20th century: Abstract of PhD Thesis, Pedagogical Sciences / Yelena Aleksandrovna Kovaleva. — Moscow, 2012, 21 pages.
- Kozlova, G. N. An overview of Russian gymnasium teachers in the 19th and the early 20th century / G. N. Kozlova // Pedagogy, 2000, No. 2, pp. 67–70.
- Milyaeva, L. V. Foreign language education as a special tool for the formation of a successful linguistic identity. Humanities. Vestnik Finansovogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Financial University], 2022. Volume 12, pp. 97–100.
- Passov, Ye. I. The programme and concept of communicative foreign language education. “Development of individuality in the dialogue of cultures”., Moscow: Prosveshcheniye publishing house, 2007, 161 pages.
- Popova, Ye. G. The culturological tools of the study of foreign languages in Russian gymnasiums (second half of the 19th and early 20th century): PhD Thesis, Pedagogical Sciences: 13.00.01 / Yelena Germanovna Popova. — Moscow, 1999, 208 pages.
For citation: Bekasova Ekaterina Yu., (2022).
On Educational and Pedagogic Potential of Foreign-Language Education: Historical Analysis.
Cross-Cultural Studies: Education and Science, Vol. 7, Issue 3 (2022), pp. 84-89 (in USA)
Manuscript received 19/10/2022
Accepted for publication: 20/11/2022