The study is devoted to the topic of spiritual quest of Leo Tolstoy, whom many readers perceive exclusively as a writer. Being a deeply gifted person, Tolstoy did not consider himself a writer – he was a teacher in life: for children in Yasnaya Polyana, for admirers of creativity, for followers of his views – Tolstoyans. The Crisis of Orthodox Consciousness at the Turn of the 19th – 20th Centuries. Can be traced through the fate and path of spiritual quest of L. N. Tolstoy, whose views were close to the Russian religious group of Doukhobors who were persecuted. Tolstoy played one of the most important roles in their rescue.
Keywords: L.N. Tolstoy, spiritual path, religion, Doukhobors, Tolstoyism, Russian literature, Orthodox Church
- Tolstoy L.N. Confession. – St. Petersburg: Azbuka, Azbuka–Atticus, 2017. – 288 p.
- Tolstoy L.N. Full composition of writings. T. 60, Moscow, 1949.
- Tolstoy L.N. What is my faith? – M.: Amrita-Rus, 2022. – 208 p.
- Sukhotina–Tolstaya T.L. Memories. – M .: from-in “Fiction”, 1980. – 527 p.
- “Response to the decision of the Synod of February 20–22 and to the letters I received on this occasion”, 1901. [Electronic resource] / URL: http://tolstoy.ru/creativity/journalismguide/227.php Date of access: 19/12/2021.
- Suvorin A.S. Diary. [Electronic resource] /URL: https://www.livelib.ru/book/1001010592-dnevnik-a-s-suvorina-aleksej-suvorin Date of access: 10/02/2022.
- Bulgakov V.F. About Tolstoy. Memories and stories. – Tula: Priokskoye book publishing house, 1964. – 326 p.
- Semenov I.Ya. History of the Transcaucasian Molokans and Dukhobors. – Yerevan: Author’s edition, 2001. – 124 p.
- Tolstoy L.N., Biryukov P.I. Persecution of Christians in Russia in 1895 [Electronic resource] / URL: http://az.lib.ru/t/tolstoj_lew_nikolaewich/text_1570.shtml / Date of access: 12/20/2021.
- “To the editor of an English newspaper” (On the persecution of the Doukhobors), 1895. [Electronic resource] / URL: http://tolstoy.ru/creativity/journalismguide/176.php / Date of access: 12/20/2021
- Case No. 198 of the Echmiadzin District Police Department. National Archives of Armenia. Date of access: 10.12.2021
- Tolstoy S.L. Essays of the past. – Tula: Priokskoye book publishing house, 1975. – 472 p. + 16 pages insert.
Information about the author:
Elena A. Shuvaeva-Petrosyan (Armenia, Yerevan) – Teacher of the subject of Russian literature at the Ijevan branch of the Yerevan State University, Specialist of the Department of Historical and Cultural Projects at the Russian House in Yerevan, Member of the Writers’ Union of Armenia. E-mail: email@example.com
For citation: Shuvaeva–Petrosyan Elena A., (2022).
L.N.Tolstoy: Religious and Philosophical doctrine and Doukhobors. Cross-Cultural Studies: Education and Science, Vol. 7, Issue 1 (2022), pp. 113-119 (in USA)
Manuscript received: 17/02/2022 – Accepted for publication: 28 /03/2022