The article deals with the issue of the Web 2.0 tools didactic potential in cross-cultural education. The concept of Web 2.0 tools is considered in the article. It is supposed that Web 2.0 tools are interactive and collaborative technologies and enable people to freely and openly establish unlimited virtual networks and fellowships at home and abroad for any existing subjects of interest. A survey based on the Davis’s method of acceptance model is used by the researchers in order to identify the effectiveness of Facebook as one of the widely used Web 2.0 tools. We argue that the implementation of Web 2.0 tools in cross-cultural education has a positive impact on students’ learning outcomes.
Keywords: Web 2.0, cross-cultural education, foreign language teaching, technology
- T. O’Reilly. “What is Web 2.0: Design patterns and business models for the next generation of software” [Last viewed Online on 12/10/2009]. URL: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html
- T. O’Reilly. “The War for the Web. IT Conversations” [Last viewed Online on 12/10/2009]. URL: http://itc.conversationsnetwork.org/shows/ detail4317.html
- W. Richardson. Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms, Corwin Press, Thousand Oaks: CA, 2006.
- B. Alexander. “Web 2.0- A new wave of innovation in teaching-Learning”, [Last viewed Online on 12/10/2009]. URL: http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ERM0621.pdf
- M. A. Ocak. “Towards a Multicultural Society and Education” [Last viewed Online on 15/1/2010]. URL: http://www.fountainmagazine.com/article.php?ARTICLEID=765
- P. C. Gorski. Multicultural Education and the Internet: Intersections and integrations, [p. 161], McGraw-Hill, New York: NY, 2001.
- E. Ndura and S. Lafer. “Exploring the self and the other: Achieving the empathic goals of teacher preparation through multicultural education” [Last viewed Online on 21/01/2009]. URL: http://www.eastern.edu/publications/emme/ 2004spring/ndura_lafer.html
- C. Broussard. “Teaching with Technology: Is the Pedagogical Fulcrum Shifting?” New York Law School Law Review. 2008, 53, pp. 903-915.
- A. E. Habacon. “Beyond the Mosaic: Multiculturalism 2.0”, Canadian Diversity, 2008, 6(4), pp. 150-154.
- S. Downes. “E-Learning 2.0”, eLearn Magazine, 2005. [Last viewed Online on 21/01/2010]. URL: http://www.elearnmag.org/subpage.cfm?article=29-1§ion=articles
- H. Aydin. “Key Dynamics of Assimilation among First-Generation Turkish Immigrants Residing in Romania”, Journal of Global Initiatives, 2009, 4(2), pp. 239-259.
- Castaneda Vise, D. A. (2008). The effects of wiki- and blog-technologies on the students’ performance when learning the preterit and imperfect aspects in Spanish. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section A. The Humanities and Social Sciences, 69 (01), 0187.
Information about the authors:
Diana B. Tugayeva (Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan) – 1st year graduate student of L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University with a major in “Foreign Language: Two Foreign Languages” (Nur-Sultan, Satpayev Street 2, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1 published article, areas: innovative methods in teaching foreign languages).
Gulzhannat Dukembay (Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan) – Candidate of Philological Sciences, Assistant Professor, Foreign Languages Theory and Practice Department, the L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University (Nur-Sultan, Satpayev Street 2, email@example.com, 30 published articles, areas: innovative methods in teaching foreign languages, intercultural communication).
Zhanargul Beisembayeva (Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan) – Candidate of Philological Sciences, Head of the Foreign Languages Theory and Practice Department, the L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University (Nur-Sultan, Satpayev Street 2, firstname.lastname@example.org, 60 published articles, areas: innovative methods in teaching foreign languages, intercultural communication).
For citation: Tugayeva D.V., G. Dukembay G.N., Beisembayeva Zh. (2021).
Didactic potential of Web 2.0 tools in cross-cultural education. Cross-Cultural Studies: Education and Science, Vol. 6, Issue 1, pp. 103- 111 (in USA).