The article reveals the connection between the oneiric text and Menippea as genre features of the adventure novel by Charles Dickens. The analysis subject is the philosophical and literary concept of the hero’s dreams, the interpretation of the oneiric chronotope and the identification of the features of Menippea in Dickens’ novel “Oliver Twist”. The study comprises the generalization of the results of Menippea studies and the oneiric text analysis. The research based on hermeneutical, historical-comparative, typological and discursive as main methods. Moreover, the connection of Dickens’ adventurous novel with surrealism is revealed. Ultimately, the research establishes that Dickens’ specific method and style are determined by the philosophical and literary concept of dream, considered from the perspective of the interpretation of death. The author shows the influence of Christian tradition, which determined the correlation of the oppositions such as life or death, heaven or hell, angels and demons, good and evil, dream or reality. The role of dream lines in the plot and composition of the novel sustains the adventure novel in the aspect of typology with surrealism.
Keywords: oneiric text, Dickens, menippea, dream, adventurous genre
- Bakhtin M. M. Problemy poetiki Dostoevskogo / M. M. Bakhtin. – Izd. 5-e. – M.: Augsburg: Im-Werden-Verlag, 2002, 167.
- Dikkens Ch. Prikliucheniia Olivera Tvista. Perevod A. V. Krivtsovoi. ‒ M.: Khudozhestvennaia literatura, 1969, 684.
- Freid Z. Tolkovanie snovidenii / Z. Freid — «Eksmo», 1900, 256.
- Frezer Dzh. Dzh. Zolotaia vetv‘: Issledovaniie magii i religii: V 2 t. T. 1: Gl. I-XXX1X / Per. s angl. M. Ryklina. — M.: TERRA—Knizhnyi klub, 2001, 528.
- Iung, Karl Gustav. Arkhetipy i kollektivnoe besso znatel‘noe /Karl Gustav Iung; [perevod A. Chechinoi]. — Moskva: Izdatel‘stvo AST, 2019, 496.
- Nakamura K. Chuvstvo zhizni i smerti u Dostoevskogo / Avtorizovannyi perevod s iaponskogo. SPb.: «Dmitrii Bulanin», 1997, 330.
- Savel‘eva V.V. Khudozhestvennaia gipnologiia i oneiropoetika russkikh pisatelei: Monografiia. – Almaty: Zhazushi, 2013, 520.
- West, Nancy M. “Order in Disorder: Surrealism and ‘Oliver Twist.’” South Atlantic Review, vol. 54, no. 2, 1989, pp. 41–58. JSTOR.
Information about the author:
Turzhanova Tamara — 1st year doctoral student at L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University, Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
Scientific interests: Kazakh, Russian, and English literature, literary translation, methods of teaching English language at Nazarbayev Intellectual schools and IB Program teacher at International School of Nur-Sultan. Email: email@example.com
For citation: Turzhanova T.N., (2021).
Adventure Novel by Charles Dickens: Oneiric Text as Menippea. Cross-Cultural Studies: Education and Science, Vol.6, Issue 1 (2021), pp. 32-40 (in USA).