In the artistic world of Henry David Thoreau and Mikhail Prishvin – writers so distant from each other in time and space, but endowed with a sense of nature unknown to many – the chronotope of nature and the chronotope of the house play an important role. Almost literal parallels can be noted in Thoreau’s and Prishvin’s descriptions of natural phenomena. Along with the chronotope of nature, Thoreau’s and Prishvin’s works contain the chronotope of home, which complements and deepens the philosophical interpretation of natural space.
Keywords: Thoreau, Prishvin, text, dialogue of cultures, chronotope of home, structure of the chronotope of nature, calendar time, ecological time
- Bakhtin M. M. Questions of literature and aesthetics. Studies from different years. – M.: Fiction, 1975 – – 504 p.
- Gurlenova L. V. Sense of nature in Russian prose of the 1920-1930s: Abstract of the dissertation….for the degree of Doctor of Sciences in Philology 10.01.01 / Syktyvkar State University-Nizhny Novgorod, 1999. – 41 p.
- Erofeeva E. A. Temporal vocabulary in miniatures by M. M. Prishvin// Text. Structure and semantics: reports of the XII International Conference. Vol. II. M., 2009. – pp. 282-287.
- Erofeeva E. A. Chronotope of nature in the language of miniatures by M. M. Prishvin / / Active processes in the modern Russian language: Materials of the All-Russian interuniversity Conference / Editor G. G. Infantova, N. A. Senina. – Rostov n/A: Legion, 2006. – p. 352-357.
- Pokrovsky N. E., Henry Thoreau. – M.: Mysl, 1983. – 188 p.
- Prishvin M. M. Collected works: In 6 vols. – vol. 3. – Moscow: Goslitizdat, 1956 – – 768 p.
- Prishvin M. M. Collected works. In 8 T. T. 5/ Preparation, text and commentary by V. Krugleevskaya and L. Platonova; Artist F. Domogatsky. – M.: Artist lit., 1983 – – 486 p.
- Prishvin M. M. Diaries. 1914-1917. – Moscow: Moskovsky rabochy, 1991 – – 448 p.
- Prishvin M. M. Diaries. 1920-1922-Moscow: Moskovsky rabochy, 1995 – – 336 p.
- Prishvin M. M. Diaries. 1946-1947-Moscow: New Chronograph, 2013 – – 968 p.
- Solomatina S. Yu. The artistic originality of the natural philosophical essays of Henry David Thoreau: Abstract. diss….. for the degree of Candidate of Sciences in Philology: 10.01.03. – Nizhny Novgorod, 2008. – 21 p.
- Startsev A. I. From Whitman to Hemingway. – Moscow: Soviet writer, 1981. – 373 p.
- Tolstoy N. I. The magic circle of time (according to the ideas of the Slavs) / / Logical analysis of language: Language and time / ed.: N. D. Arutyunova, T. E. Yanko. M.: Indrik, 1997. – 351 p.
- Thoreau, H.. Walden, or Life in the Woods / Translated from English by Z. E. Alexandrova. – 2nd ed. – Moscow: Nauka, 1979. -456 p.
- Fleck, R. (1974). MIKHAIL PRISHVIN: A RUSSIAN THOREAU. The Concord Saunterer, 9(2), 11-13. Retrieved June 2, 2021, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/23394031
- Thore Henry David. Walden, and On The Duty Of Civil Disobedience. [Электронный ресурс]. https://www.rulit.me/books/walden-and-on-the-duty-of-civil-disobedience-read-458300-68.html
Information about the author:
Elena A. Erofeeva (Moscow, Russian Federation) – PhD, associate professor, Moscow State Linguistic University, Department of Russian Language and Theory of Literature
(119034, Moscow, Ostozhenka, 38, of. 58, e-mail: email@example.com).
She has more than 35 publications. Fields of research: media linguistics, linguoculturology, phraseology, text theory, linguodidactics.
For citation: Erofeeva E.A., (2021).
A Dialogue of Chronotopes in the Artistic Worlds of Henry David Thoreau and Mikhail Prishvin.
Cross-Cultural Studies: Education and Science
Vol.6, Issue 2 (2021), pp. 6-13 (in USA)